August 23, 2007

China cracking down on AIDS groups

Chinese authorities have cracked down on groups fighting HIV and AIDS, threatening activists, closing their offices and ordering that a conference be canceled, a human rights organization and activists said Tuesday. The government's actions raise questions about whether it is really committed to fighting HIV and AIDS, New York-based Human Rights Watch said.

"These individuals and groups dedicated to addressing the enormous suffering wrought by China's HIV/AIDS epidemic should not face police threats and harassment," Joe Amon, the group's HIV/AIDS director, said in a statement. The activists, Amon said, deserve "praise and support, not intimidation tactics by state security forces." The reported crackdown comes amid a general tightening of political control in China in the run-up to a major meeting of the ruling Communist Party. The meeting, expected in October, is held once every five years and sets the political tone and direction for the country.

Officials did not immediately comment. The Guangdong Public Security Bureau said it was not authorized to discuss the matter, referring questions to the Ministry of Public Security. The public security bureau in Kaifeng said it did not know about the case.

Zhu Zhaowu, who leads a branch of activist group Dong Zhen in Henan province, said officials went to his office last Wednesday and gave him two days to clear out.

Zhu said agents with the Kaifeng city Commerce and Industry Bureau said his group "is an illegal organization conducting illegal activities."

An officer also told Zhu to "watch your back after you move out, because Kaifeng can be unsafe," he said.

One of the group's activity centers in Ruanjia village was forced to close last Thursday, Zhu added. Dong Zhen provides legal aid to HIV and AIDS patients.

The organization had planned to co-host a conference Aug. 2-3 in southern China's Guangdong province with the New York-based Asia Catalyst group, said Dong Zhen director Li Dan. But the manager of the hotel where the conference was to be held said police contacted him and requested it be called off, Li said in a telephone interview.

"The Guangdong police didn't contact us directly, however," he said. Li refused to provide specifics, saying "I'm under a lot of other pressure."

The public security bureau in Guangdong had considered the conference's topics "too sensitive," Human Rights Watch said.

There are an estimated 650,000 people living with HIV in China, according to the most recent government statistics from 2005. HIV gained a foothold in the country largely due to unsanitary blood plasma-buying schemes and tainted blood transfusions.

The U.N. has praised China's work in combating HIV and AIDS, including top-level government commitment, proper funding, availability of antiretroviral drugs and outreach programs. However, the executive director of UNAIDS said last month that Beijing still must reach out to more patients in the vast country and overcome a lack of cooperation from some government officials.
(source : news.yahoo.com)

5 comments:

Stem Cell Therapy said...

You have designed your blog very nicely. Stem cells are biological cells found in all multicellular organisms, that can divide through mitosis and differentiate into diverse specialized cell types and can self-renew to produce more stem cells. In mammals, there are two broad types of stem cells: embryonic stem cells, which are isolated from the inner cell mass of blastocysts, and adult stem cells, which are found in various tissues. In adult organisms, stem cells and progenitor cells act as a repair system for the body, replenishing adult tissues.Stem Cell Treatment

TINA PHILIPA said...

There is another great option to cure herpes, with herpes home remedy. It is simply because so many of us don't know the right one to meet at the right time . I was deadly in pain of herpes for six months, I tried different cure but it could not heal, one day my friend Jane saw a testimony of a lady'Edith' on this blog. how her herpes was cure by Dr Akhigbe with his herbal medicine cure that can help to heal the blister and sores of herpes totally.We write to him through his email, drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he told us that he was going to help us. He prepared the medicine and sent it to us through UPS courier services , he also instructed me on how i will be drinking the herbal medicine for three weeks. My dear brothers and sisters, Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine cure is real and it cure my herpes totally. So i must testify of him, he is a good man and i call him daddy.. If there any one out there that need his help because Dr Akhigbe cure different diseases.. Please contact him on his email... drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can also whatApp him with these number +2348142454860 Dr Akhigbe is good herbalist man to be trust..

Anneke Sergio said...

I’m Mark Russ , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there’s no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV’s, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. Imoloa also I saw a lot of testimonies about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I
contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and i took it for two weeks after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has no side effect, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure DIABETES, EX BACK, ALES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES
1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your
office.
(4) You want women/men to run after
you.
(5) If you want your own children
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to
be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you
(10) and if you ant your herpes cure back
want to recover you lost money
(11) CANCER,
(12) DIABETES,
(13) HIV&AIdS,
(14) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(15) CANCER,
(16) IMPOTENCE,
(17) BARENESS/INFERTILIY
(18) DIARRHEA
(19) ASTHMA..
Also contact him with the above.
and lots more. You can reach him on drimoloaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or
Whatsapp +2347081986098 all thanks to dr imoloa he is really a great man .

LORI HIRST said...

Never give up in life they all said there is no cure for HIV VIRUS, which is a big lie I have passed through many processes. Also, I never believed there is really a cure to HIV/AIDS until I met Dr. James. The doctor that have been helping people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for HIV permanent cure online I found out about Dr. James, and to my greatest surprise Dr. James has the herbal medicine for HIV cure which I have been looking for years I explained my problems to him through the email I found on someone who testified about Dr.James herbal mix write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.James instructed me, I was very happy after 21 days I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I went for a test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy after all i have been through.you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com And He also has herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema, urethra wart, chronic problems. Herpes, Cancer, ALS, Autism,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV infections, ulcer
He can interpret your dreams and tell you the meaning
Marriage counseling
Reasons why you are single n not married
Reasons why you are much hated and bad luck

Lilian Wale said...

There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I was diagnosed with diabetes .It was at work and  feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +234 802  501 2866   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , TUMOR, HEART HEALTH, MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +234 901 075 4824